Sylvain Justum of Hypercool thank you for taking your time and for the interview.
For those who don’t read Portuguese and care to read it, here is the English translation:
- Which details catch your attention when you are shooting during the
I don’t go looking for anything in particular, I end up shooting the things that catch my eye. For me it’s organic, it’s the details of that moment that work well. I think if I went out to shoot certain details, it would lose it’s cool element.
- How do you define elegance in street style, where almost everything is allowed?
Elegance is the ability to do it right without need to over do it. Elegance is simplicity and the way the person carries themselves. Street style has become so popular that of course you have people who over do it simply to get photographed, the elegant individual doesn’t need to shout, their presence is undeniable.
- In a picture, do you see the difference between a man who is naturally elegant and has a real sense of style and another one who has made efforts to dress just to appear on a streetstyle gallery?
Street style at times is bittersweet. You certainly have those who have great style and those who simply have fashion. I find it a little funny that it’s called street style and not street fashion because in most cases it’s not about the style, it’s about the fashion. I think it’s easy to see in person and on images the distinction between style and fashion.
- You have yourself a great sense of style, as you dress unconventionally even for fashion people. Where do you buy your clothes and why do you take so much care of your looks – which are always great!?
My style is a reflection of who I am. The way I dress is simply a small part of my style. I try to pay equal amount of attention to the other elements of my style be it what I eat, read, and the company I keep.
Right now I’m at a point that I enjoy shopping for fabric and having custom made items. Other than that I’m not doing much shopping these days.
- Do you follow fashion in the industry side, I mean, do you pay attention on trends and runways?
I’ve never been big on following the trends and to be honest with you the male models on the runway seem so unnatural that I don’t like to look at the runway shows. I’m into organic and things that seem natural, not into things that are forced or look out of place. I’ll look at trends (I can’t help but see them) to stay current, but certainly not for inspiration. As for the industry side, I still consider myself an outsider, and I’m content being that. I’m not up on all the industry happenings in general.
- Who are the most elegant men in the world? Italians, New Yorkers, Parisians…? Why?
I’d have to say Italians. There is something about them (many) that whispers classy cool. Let’s face it they invented the term Sprezzutura.
- Is there a place in the world where you hadn’t shot yet and would like to explore?
South Africa, Nigeria, are the 2 places I hope to explore in the near future.